Thursday, October 06, 2005

Labour Forever

I have a new post up at Oncemore.

"I have not had a Damascian conversion, I have simply read an excellent article on "Make my vote count" by Paul Davies. Effectively, it's conclusion is that without embracing electoral reform, the Conservative Party runs the risk of never forming a Government with a good working majority again.

At the Labour Party Conference, Tony Blair was able to boast about Labour's third electoral victory whilst John Prescott described Labour's 66 seat majority as a luxury. He is right, it is a luxury. If the electoral system was fairer, Labour would have formed a minority Government." The article continues here.

2 comments:

Aiden Truss said...

But since it works in the favour of every incumbent government, no one's in a hurry to change it.

Would the Conservatives change the voting system if the roles were reversed?

Snafu said...

Astolath, I don't believe it does work in favour of every incumbent government. For the Conservatives to have just a two seat majority in Parliament, they would need an 11.7% swing nationally.

There is a far more informed debate than I can offer over at Oncemore.

I somehow doubt the Conservatives would change the voting system if the roles were reversed! Maybe that's why Conservative calls for electoral reform are so muted!